Sunday and Wednesday
The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb on the evening of Good Friday.
- His soul descends into the realm of the dead to announce to the Just the tidings of their redemption
- Fearing the body of Jesus will be taken, the chief priests place guards at the tomb.
- On the third day, Jesus rises from the dead, glorious and immortal.
- The earth quakes as the angel rolls back the stone; the guards flee in terror.
- The holy women coming to anoint the body of Jesus are amazed and frightened to find the tomb open.
- An angel calms their fears: “He is not here. He has risen as He said.”
- Jesus appears to Mary Magdalen and Peter and two disciples on the way to Emmaus.
- That evening He appears to the apostles behind locked doors: “Peace be unto you…do not be afraid.”
- Jesus breathes on them and gives them the power to forgive sin.
- Jesus remains on earth forty days after His Resurrection to prove He has truly risen from the dead.
- He commissions the apostles to preach the gospel to every creature, and promises to be with them forever.
- He will not leave them orphans, but will send the Holy Spirit to enlighten and strengthen them.
- Jesus proceeds to Mt. Ollivet accompanied by His Mother and the apostles and disciples.
- Extending His pierced hands over all in a last blessing, He ascends into heaven
- As He ascends, a cloud takes Him from their sight.
- Jesus ascends to take His place at the right hand of the Father.
- What jubilation there must be amid the angle of heaven at the triumphant entry of Jesus.
- The wounds in His glorified body are an endlessplea before the Father on our behalf.
- The disciples leave Mt. Olivet. and “return to Jerusalem with great joy.”
The Descent of the Holy Spirit
- The apostles are gathered in the upper room where Jesus had held the Last Supper.
- They are persevering in prayer with Mary the Mother of Jesus.
- A sound comes from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind. and it fills the whole house.
- The Holy Spirit descends on each of them in the form of tongues of fire.
- Filled with the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, they are enlightened and strengthened to spread the Gospel.
- Having lost all fear of the Jewish leaders, the apostles boldly preach Christ crucified.
- The multitudes are confounded because every man hears them speak in his own tongue.
- The Holy Spirit comes upon the infant Church never to leave it.
- The first day, Peter goes forth to preach and baptize 3000
- The feast of Pentecost is the .birthday of the church for on that day it begins to grow.
- After the apostles have dispersed, the Blessed Mother goes to live with John, the beloved disciple.
- Mary lives many years on earth after the death of Christ.
- She is a soure of comfort, consolation and strength to the apostles.
- As she had nourished the infant Jesus, so she nourishes spiritually the infant Church.
- Mary dies, not of bodily infirmity, but is wholly overcome in a rapture of divine love.
- Her body as well as her soul is taken up into heaven.
- After her burial, the apostles go to the tomb and find only fragrant lilies.
- Jesus does not permit the sinless body of His Mother to decay in the grave.
- Corruption of the body is an effect original sin fro which Mary is totally exempted.
- The bodies of all mankind, at the last Judgement, will be brought back and united again to the soul.
- As Mary enter heaven, the entire court of heaven greets with joy this masterpiece of God’s creation.
- Mary is crowned by her divine Son as Queen of heaven and earth.
- More than we can ever know, the Hearts of Jesus and Mary overflow with joy at this reunion.
- Only in heaven will we know he great majesty of that coronation, and the joy it gave to the angels and saints.
- Even the angels, who by nature are greater than humans, hail Mary as their Queen.
- Mary shares so fully in the glory of Christ because she shared so fully in His suffering.
- Only in heaven will we see how central is the role of Mary in the divine plan of redemption.
- The angels and saints longed for the coming of her whose heel crushes the lead of the serpent.
- Mary pleads our cause as a most powerful Queen and a most merciful and loving Mother.
- A great sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.
Source: Rosary Center by the Dominican Fathers